Uno a Uno operates in the town of Cotacachi in Ecuador. It provides a safe place where local school children can strengthen their education through tutoring and gain support and skills through after school programs.
WHO WE ARE
Uno a Uno is a not-for-profit foundation in the town centre of Cotacachi, Ecuador, and is a project of Rose Charities Canada.
Our vision is a world where all people have sufficient access to education and community support to be able to pursue their hopes and dreams.
By providing educational initiatives and promoting community, we empower people to realize their potential and transform their lives.
We believe in equal opportunity for the fundamental human right of self-determination. We serve all people regardless of race, faith, ethnicity, gender, financial status, and sexual orientation. We apply affirmative action to support those people who have been discriminated against, or received unequal opportunity in the past.
Equality: equal opportunity for everyone
Integrity: acting honestly and sincerely in all that we do
Community: building a safe, supportive environment for people to learn and grow personally
Innovation: creative and interdisciplinary teaching techniques and educational initiatives tailored to the community’s needs
Empowerment: providing tools and support to facilitate positive transformation
WHAT WE DO
- We offer practical English classes of all levels, to all ages of students, at no cost to them, to enable them to attain better income earning opportunities now or in the future;
- We partner with the local educational system by offering tutoring services to school-aged children in all subjects, at no cost to the students;
- We provide business education and financial planning workshops to local business owners to help them grow their businesses and better manage their personal finances, at no cost to the students;
- We deliver affordable Spanish classes to local expats and volunteers to help them better integrate into the community;
- We use innovative and interdisciplinary teaching methods and an individualized and small group teaching approach, tailored to the needs of each student; and
- We create unique opportunities for expats and volunteers from abroad to engage with the community, have cross-cultural exchanges, and develop meaningful relationships.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
- We have a budget of $44,000 USD per year to run an English program for 120 students weekly, and a tutoring program for 100 children and youth weekly. We need to fundraise for all of these funds to run our project and need your help!
- Rose Charities Canada will issue Canadian tax receipts for all donations above $20. Please click here to donate online. select drop-down menu for “Uno a Uno – Ecuador”
- American tax receipts may be available from Rose Charities USA for large donations. Please contact us to inquire if interested.
- If you are wanting to volunteer in Ecuador, we are looking for volunteers over the age of 19 to volunteer during our school terms (i.e. September to January; February to June; July to August). We can assist with organizing homestays and Spanish lessons for volunteers hoping to have an intercultural experience while volunteering with Uno a Uno!
- We are also looking for volunteers in Canada to help with fundraising and to expand our international volunteer program.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions at all!
Pierre Etienne Banville & Candace Cho Banville, Founders
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Uno-a-Uno/370523269809342